Federal safety regulators are investigating the death of Madison Coe, the Lubbock teen who died in Lovington early Sunday morning in a bathtub after it’s believed her plugged-in cellphone slipped into the tub and electrocuted her.
The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission told the News-Sun Wednesday it is investigating the incident to find out if any products played a role in Madison’s death.
“Our investigations look into if a product played a role, and if so, what role did the product play,” said Elizabeth Klinefelter, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission public affairs specialist. “There really isn’t a typical time frame (for how long the investigation will take), it just depends.”
At around 12:24 a.m. Sunday, Lovington Police officers and emergency medical personnel responded to a report of an unresponsive juvenile female at the 800 block of West Ave. H. Coe was found in a bath holding her cellphone that was plugged into an extension cord beside the bathtub, according to a family member.
Emergency personnel attempted life-saving measures at the scene, during transport and at Nor-Lea Hospital, according to LPD officials. Coe was pronounced deceased a short time later at Nor-Lea Hospital.
Madison is the daughter of Lovington firefighter Logan Coe and step-daughter of Felisha Owens. She was living in Lubbock with her mother Angela O’Guinn-Downs but visiting her dad in Lovington at the time of the accident.
Madison’s story has gained national-attention with news outlets throughout the country sharing her story including, the Huffington Post, People Magazine, NBC News and CBS News.
Felisha, Madison’s step-mother, said she hopes Madison’s story will be a wake-up call to other parents to watch their kids more closely.
“Pay attention to your kids, pay attention to what they are doing and keep the damn cellphones out of the bathrooms and out of the swimming pools,” Felisha told the News-Sun on Monday. “Love them every day like it was the last because you never know. We go on like we are guaranteed tomorrow and we’re not. You never know that today may be the last day that you get to hug them, kiss them and tell them you love them so do it often. We miss her. We hope that no other family has to suffer or experience what we are going through right now.”
A GoFundMe account was started by Carl Christensen, Lovington EMS coordinator, and his wife Crystal to help the Coe family with medical expenses and funeral costs. The goal is to raise $20,000.
By 3 p.m. Wednesday (three days into the fundraiser) 207 people donated $10,967.
To make a donation visit www.gofundme.com and search for Madison Coe Memorial Fund.
Madison’s funeral services are planned for 2 p.m. Friday at First United Methodist Church in Lovington.